Vehicle Purchase, Assessment and Modification Services funded by the Ministry of Health
Funding related to purchase of vehicles and modifications to vehicles is allocated according to different criteria. These are described as follows:
- Driving/Passenger Assessment - for vehicle purchase and/or modification.
- Purchase of a Vehicle to be Modified.
- Modifications for Vehicles.
All costs related to the assessment for consideration of driving, vehicle purchase and/or modifications require prior approval from Accessable or Enable New Zealand before the assessment can commence.
The person is required to have an assessment with a suitably qualified Occupational Therapist with specialist skills in driver assessment and vehicle modification for consideration of:
- their capacity to drive safely and independently.
- an application for purchase of a vehicle and/or modifications to a vehicle.
Assessments for driving may only be approved for Ministry of Health funding for disabled people who meet agreed eligibility criteria.
Vehicle Purchase and Vehicle Modifications
The person is required to have an assessment with a suitably qualified Occupational Therapist with specialist skills in vehicle purchase and modification.
It is agreed that the use of a vehicle and/or modifications to a vehicle would meet the person's essential needs related to their disability, and they are eligible for Ministry of Health funded support, the EMS Assessor completes an application requesting the relevant services.
If the person is not eligible for Ministry of Health funded services, or vehicle purchase, modifications and/or equipment are not considered as being the most suitable solution, the EMS Assessor should discuss other support or funding options with them.
The following funding is available for eligible people living in New Zealand:
- Driving Assessment - No maximum amount
- Vehicle Purchase - Maximum $12,165
- Vehicle Modifications - Maximum $12,165
Note: all amounts include GST
For further information on your entitlement to vehicle modification funding and driving assessment funding, see Eligibility.
Who To Contact
For further information about Ministry of Health funding for Driving/Passenger Assessment, Vehicle Purchase and Vehicle Modification, contact the funding administration service for your area:
- If you live in Auckland or Northland, contact accessable, call free (New Zealand only) 0508 001 002.
- For all the rest of New Zealand, contact Enable New Zealand, call free (New Zealand only) 0800 17 1995.
To begin the application process, you must request an assessment by an EMS Assessor.